BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Starting a Freelance Writing Business

Today was another personal lesson in self-education. And just so y’all know, I had no intention of this self-education idea taking on a life of its own. It was meant to be an essay-style format, in three installments. Well, like so many things in life… That. Didn’t. Happen. Deal with it, I guess.

So anyway, today involved learning how to start a small business. I’m putting together a freelance writing business over the next few months and am trying this self-employment thing, since I’m not the type for corporate America, at least on the every day nine-to-five level. Some day I may change my mind, but for now I prefer to see what other options are available. So today I spent a large portion of the day in a crash course, learning the basics of starting and running a business. I’m currently putting together a business plan that outlines the services I will offer, namely copywriting, proofreading, resume writing, press releases and media packages. If anyone has any work in that vein, like, say, your business needs web content, please let me know. :-)

Other thoughts for the day concern the bleakness of a Dickens’ novel still before me (375 pages into Bleak House, only 500 pages to go!) and mulling over balance sheets and Lorca’s “Lament for Ignacio Sanchez Mejias.” Oh, and Jodi Picoult’s Nineteen Minutes completely rocked! Everyone remember to catch “Men in Trees” tonight. And have a good one.

0 comments: