BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Passing

4/1/2010 11:45:00 AM
Meredith Volk


BATTLE CREEK — Services for Meredith Volk, 63, of Battle Creek will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church, Battle Creek, with the Rev. Richard Snow officiating. Burial will be at a later date. Visitation will be 3-7 p.m. Friday at Steffen Mortuary.
He died Tuesday, March 30, 2010, at his home.
________________________________________
Meredith was born on Oct. 28, 1946, in Norfolk, the son of John W. and Doris E. (Darr) Volk. He was baptized on Nov. 17, 1946, and confirmed on March 26, 1961. He graduated from Battle Creek High School and then received a bachelor’s degree in animal science from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. He was raised on a farm northwest of Battle Creek and at an early age began working with cattle with his father and was currently raising cattle on the home place.
He had served on the school board for Battle Creek, served on the Nebraska Pork Producers board and had been a national trustee for the American Simmental Association.
Meredith is survived by his children, Dean Volk of Battle Creek, Amy Descombaz of Plano, Texas, and David Volk of Frisco, Texas; his father, John Volk of Battle Creek; three brothers, John Volk of Fort Collins, Colo., Van Volk of Norfolk, Tim Volk of Tonganoxie, Kan.; one sister, Diane Harris of Parker, Colo., and five grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his mother.

It took me this long to google my old friend. Meredith was a lot of things, a character above all, which anyone who knew him will testify. I’m blessed and cursed to have known him and I didn’t hear about his passing until recently which is why this blog is so untimely. He taught me how to post riding western and promised to take me calving Nebraska range cows in a trailer with holes large enough for the wind to blow through. We won’t ever get to do that now.
The last time I saw Meredith was around this time of year, end of July, early August, 2006. We went to the Evart fair together. I miss him more than I can say. I wish I’d known that I’d never see him after that. It’s strange: I still have his number on my phone and when I google his name, facebook keeps trying to make us friends. But I’m not sure there’s social media where Meredith is, riding Hancock horses somewhere where the Nebraska sandhills are always in bloom.
I’ll miss drinking Crown with him the most and riding half-broke horses. I’m having one for you tonight, my friend. I miss you.

1 comments:

Rowenna said...

Sorry to hear about your loss...it's so much worse to hear well after the fact, like getting sucker-punched. Beautifully written tribute.