BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring is here... yey? (I think)

It actually feels like spring today, complete with heat from the sun, how ‘bout that? I can’t decide if that makes me happy or sad because I’m crazy and actually like snow.

Except for this winter. This winter was just shit all winter long.

Spring also gets me down because all the repairs become loudly apparent. Buildings and fences need repaired, horses shed like… I don’t even know what, they just shed bad, limbs in the yard need picked up, dogs track mud absolutely everywhere… and all the cleaning and maintenance just kind of defeat my enthusiasm for warmer weather.

On another note, been doing a whole lot of reading the last few months. Most of the books have been in genres or by authors I’ve never read much of before. Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series has been the most fun. So have Diana Gabaldon’s books, Drums of Autumn, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and Lord John and the Private Matter. I started Charles Dickens’ Bleak House the other day and have been reading Jim Harrison, both poetry and some fiction, for my apprenticeship project in my poetry class.

We studied Federico Garcia Lorca in poetry class yesterday and he has been one of the few poets I’ve encountered lately who I can honestly say blows my mind. He can do so much with words in such a short span that it’s just beautiful. An interesting thing about that is how familiar his poems seemed, despite being Spanish. I guess there is just that much Spanish influence in American cowboy culture.

The last few books I’ve tackled were Bill Bryen’s Shakespeare and Janet Evanovich’s One for the Money. See? I am expanding my horizons from classic literature, westerns, and fantasy. A little bit.

Happy days to all (and I even feel less gloomy than when I started this post).

0 comments: