BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, May 23, 2008

Pages and heelers

A slow start to a long weekend. I got the garden watered and the cattle moved, but the old dog is still stuck in my car (see: refuses to get out) and I have no ideas for pages today. I know I should just sit down and start typing, but it helps to have a vague scene in my head that wants out before I start. If that fails, I do some writing exercises and line-edits until something pops up. Sometimes something does and sometimes I end up scrubbing the grout in desperation. Honestly, it feels like Taylor just wants to be left alone some days and can’t be bothered with little ol’ me. Must be the days she’s working on tractors, hell if I know.

Zip has been a little insecure the last few days. He’s a good dog, but once in awhile he’s more touchy-feely than usual, though we are a pretty touchy-feely “couple.” My theory with Australian cattle dogs is that the owner has to be as devoted to the dog as the dog is to the owner. I know I sound like a crazy dog owner, but herding/drover dogs, I think, are generally closer with their owners than other, more sociable breeds.

Sorry about that diatribe, I’ve been reading about dog behavior this morning. It makes me reflect on Zip and my relationship. Although I love Australian heelers, I wouldn’t recommend the breed for just anyone. They are a difficult breed for some people since they are so active and stubborn and can be nippy if not trained and socialized correctly. They are a very busy dog, to say the least, and do well with people with active lifestyles. For instance, Zip and I walk for thirty minutes to an hour most days of the week and he plays ball in the evenings with us sometimes for over an hour. And he still has energy to burn, which he burns pacing through the house and stalking the raccoons that live in our trees outside. So, like I said, I love my dog and we get along gloriously, but the breed is not for everyone.

0 comments: