BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Horse crazy

Dad and I went horseback riding in Hastings yesterday, well Yankee Springs to be precise. Hot, very humid, but perfect. We got away from the farm, spent some quality time together and with our horses, and even drank some beers (yeah, I know, big surprise). I didn’t get a lick of work done yesterday and it felt great. I may not get as much done as I want to, but Dad and I both always work at something, either at the house or at the farm. I have a saying: I don’t stop working, I pass out. Dad works the same way, only harder. Drop in the harness, that’s us. So days where we get away and do what we love and don’t work, that’s a great day, a perfect day, in spite of the deerflies. Sonny’s blood must be beer-flavored or something. :-)

Anyway, the rest of today’s entry is a book review. Gulliver’s Travels to be precise. It was an interesting read after Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I love Swift’s satire. I actually get it for one thing. I’m not the sharpest pencil in the jelly jar when it comes to satire. Like I thought the New Yorker cover last week was Oprah instead of Michelle Obama. My bad. So reading Gulliver made me look back at one of Jonathon Swift’s essays that I read in college "A Modest Proposal." I love the persona Swift assumes in this essay and how he very logically walks the reader through why children should become the new dish so as to solve the population problem. Gulliver’s Travels almost hits this tone once in awhile, but has a more mid-level humor that carries all the way through the book. I didn’t quite like how the Houyhnhms, the horse people, were depicted. That’s why I write fantasy though, so I can get shapeshifters and talking animals just as I think they oughta be. But, any guy who would rather spend time with horses because humans are course is cool with me.

0 comments: