BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Autumn Solstice

The calves are still doing good this morning. We had another one over the weekend, a little bull calf that got tagged wrong since Dad called it a heifer. Of course, the calf’s nuts were so small it was hard to tell without a more hands on check, if you see what I’m sayin’.

I read A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George over the weekend, the first book to the Lynley and Havers series. Excellent writing with a great twist at the end. I also started A book by Francine Prose called Reading Like A Writer: A guide for people who love books and for those who want to write them. So far it seems really meaty. I’m still slowly making my way through Catherine Friend’s book, reading a chapter a day and really thinking about it. Besides, there’s so much pain and suffering involved with factory farming and industrialized meat production in America that I can only stomach a little bit of it at a time. Paganism by Joyce and River Higginbotham is one of the most interesting books in my stack right now. It’s a beginner’s guide to earth-centered religions and really eye-opening about how to view Deity and how to reconcile centuries’ worth of conflicting ideas about religion and Deity.

I’m cooking dinner tonight for one of our neighbors who had a stroke and recently came home from the hospital. It’s one of the neat things about living in the community I do is how neighbors, old school ones at least, still take care of each other. They’ve worked it out so every day someone else comes in with a lunch and dinner, so no one has too much responsibility at one time. This man was a great friend of my grandfather’s and I feel bad that I can’t do more for him. Hopefully, a little bit is better than nothing at all.

0 comments: