BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Success is dependent on effort. (Sophocles)

We did wood today and the calves, Booger and Cinderella, kept escaping. Granted the two events are unrelated and we really haven’t given the calves such horrible names. But it was time to retire the unisex names of Hector and You Fucking Little Dumbass. (Anyone who has ever tried to get a slow calf to nurse in February with a bad chute knows where we got that last one.) So it was a slow day, which is good I suppose. Made a nice dinner of pepper steak, my special potatoes, and salad, and am trying to brain storm for ideas on the popular fiction story I’m trying to write for an upcoming contest. So far no ideas are upcoming as quickly as the contest deadline. Neither are any other writing projects for that matter. Okay, I’m whining. I promised not to do that this blog.

I read The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin the other day. I didn’t really get The Wizard of Earthsea, but I’ve watched the movie since, so Tombs made a little more sense, for all that the movie made great liberties with Le Guin’s work. I’ve started Dante’s The Divine Comedy and Elizabeth George’s A Great Deliverance. They’re both really intriguing. And a great break from writing exercises. (See? there I go whining again. I need to snap a rubber band on my wrist or something every time I do that. If anyone sees me with welts on my wrists, don't ask.)

Did I mention we did a 5K last weekend? Not sure, so sorry if I’m repeating myself. It was a good time although it had rained for days and days and the course was slippery. There’s an 8K in Lansing on Sunday that I opted out of. Not really my thing, having a nature experience with five hundred of my closest friends. I elected to wait in the pub, drink a pint, and go shopping afterward.

0 comments: