BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 1, 2008

"It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish." (Aeschylus)

A good day, but a frustrating one. Just got done with my workout and a shower, sitting at my desk with only a small desk lamp for light. The fan draws in the cool night air and I can hear the crickets outside while the occasional insect falls stunned into my lap from a run in with the light bulb. It’s my favorite time of day. I’m watching a nature show on cranes and staring at the printout from the second Taylor story, trying to get into writing mode. I sat out with the cows for awhile tonight, despite the gnats. They all look so good, so happy. At sunset, they spread out grazing and it feels like walking with earth goddesses. Just at dark the horses came running out, my white colt (who at six will always act like a colt) and my paint, followed by the bay and the sorrel, who all came running like mystical beasts through the settling night.

It’s easy to wax poetic in a cow pasture at night.

I finished a great book tonight. I picked it up on a whim in the library. It’s called The Year the Horses Came by Mary Mackey. It’s along the lines of Jean Auel’s Clan of the Cave Bear (which I haven’t read yet, but plan to) and Marion Zimmer Bradley’s The Forest House, The Lady of Avalon, or Mists of Avalon books. I’m not sure how accurate the history is, but once the story begins, Mackey draws the reader in and makes you feel so involved in the happenings and the way of life, that you can’t believe the world ever had a good reason to change from a mother goddess worshipping culture. I really can’t say enough about this book. It combined two of my interests, those being alternative religions, anthropology, fiction, and horses.

I better stop ruminating and get to work though. Although, I’m not yet sure what I’ll get to work on. I stalled on writing a Taylor scene and there’s a weird bug under my keyboard keys. Later.

0 comments: