BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gotta Love Easter, it's all baby lambs and bunnies

Tubed the lamb at 10:30 last night and Dad is watching close this morning to try and determine if mother and daughter have gotten their shit together yet. The joys of farming. Actually, they are joys if you keep a positive attitude. Things can always get worse. I’m grateful when they aren’t worse at that particular moment. Even if seeing a newly freshened ewe lamb leap over Dad’s shoulder without touching him makes Dad cranky.

I’m endorsing natural cures today. I don’t get along well with cold meds, so over the past year or so natural cures have trickled into the family medicine box. This morning it’s scalded milk with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ginger with 1 tablespoon of honey, drank hot. It’s a little thick if you don’t keep stirring it, but it’s a good stimulant and quieted this dry cough I developed yesterday. Besides, it tastes better than Dayquil.

I finished True North last night and it was a doozy. I’m the type of reader who’s always surprised. I don’t try to figure out the ending because I want to be surprised and I figure the author worked so hard to craft a careful plot that I owe it to them not to be greedy and try to figure out the end. As a result, especially with fiction, I tend to forget the beginning of the book as I get engrossed in the story. True North was a work that cycled around on itself, ending where it began. Boy, what a trip! I’ve loved Jim Harrison's work since I discovered it in college. The spare prose, the Michigan-ness of it. Sort of Nick Adam’s stories the risqué version. My only tip, pay attention to the first few chapters. They come in very important later.

Well, I’m up to get off my sorry ass and try to accomplish something today. If Dad can work after falling off whatever it was (he won’t tell me other than he hurt his ribs by landing on something after falling off something), I can suck it up. Happy holiday of bunnies and chicks.

0 comments: