BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 20, 2009

I sleep with my bio teacher (me)

It’s been an odd July. Hot one day, sweatshirt weather the next. Day, hell, morning vs. earlier morning. It was hotter doing morning chores than it is now in the afternoon. Oh well. It rained so the garden and herbs got a drink. It was a busy weekend, very social with Jenny and my aunt and uncle here. Gram seemed pretty tired. I didn’t get much writing done. I aim for 500 words a day, but missed most days out of the weekend, then made 3600 last night. So there, I guess. Nature of the beast. Words while they run and hay while the sun shines, I guess. We got an RFID tag in the big bull over the weekend so he’s ready to go to the stockyards tomorrow, so long as Dad and I can get our shit together and take him. Cash flow really interferes with this whole farming thing.

Today was a research day. I spent a lot of time reading about badgers. Not riveting reading, I’ll give it that, especially since I took dutifully detailed notes from my library book, but the author was so into badgers it was hard not to get a little involved. I’ve always been interested in shape-shifters and it seems like a good idea when writing about them to have a clear idea about how the animal acts. It’s an animal side, after all, not a person in a skunk suit. I’ve read about cougars and wolves before, and werewolves are fairly common choice when writing about shape-shifters. But badgers have their own illustrious history stretching back to the Pleistocene in its primitive form. Even if I never use this information, it’s still fascinating. And I didn’t even have to go to bio for it.

0 comments: