BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

F-f-f-free verse!

Okay, I’m tired today and feeling pretty basic after all the form poems. So today I’m giving everyone, including me, a break. Cows didn’t give me much of a break today, but that’s a whole other issue.

The form of today’s poem in the April Poetry Challenge is free verse. There’s no set structure, no meter, no rhyme scheme, no rules whatsoever really. A free verse poem can also be called a prose poem and usually is recognizable as a poem due to its line phrasing, prose composed in the form of lines rather than paragraphs and sentences.

Poets.org has more on the prose poem.

Here’s an example of free verse by poet Nikki Giovanni. Enjoy. I’m out.

Winter Poem – Nikki Giovanni

once a snowflake fell
on my brow and i loved
it so much and i kissed
it and it was happy and called its cousins
and brothers and a web
of snow engulfed me then
i reached to love them all
and i squeezed them and they became
a spring rain and i stood perfectly
still and was a flower

0 comments: